Keystone Treatment Center helps individuals struggling with stimulant addiction build a strong foundation for long-term recovery. Located in South Dakota, Keystone will help you start your recovery journey with detoxification and transition to residential rehabilitation.
Effects Stimulants Have on Mental & Physical Health
The class of drugs known as stimulants range from illicit substances such as crack, crystal meth, and cocaine, to legal drugs like Desoxyn, Ephedrine, Ritalin, Adderall, Dexedrine, and Concerta. Whether illegal or prescribed by a physician, all of these substances can have a dramatically destructive impact on the brain and central nervous system.
At first, a physician might prescribe a legal stimulant to increase a patient’s mental functioning and focus, such as for individuals who are suffering from attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). However, because these drugs can be very addictive, many individuals find themselves using them outside of their intended purpose. Over time, individuals who abuse stimulants will develop a tolerance to them, meaning that they need to consume larger doses and engage in more frequent use in an effort to achieve the desired effects. When this occurs, and a chemical dependency takes hold, individuals might find themselves grappling with the negative effects of a substance use disorder that will require professional care to defeat.
It takes courage to reach out for help. However, those who are struggling with the damaging effects of a stimulant use disorder do not need to face their challenges alone. One of the first steps in obtaining sobriety is to address the presence of dangerous substances within one’s body. Without first removing stimulants from one’s system, he or she cannot move successfully into the next phase of stimulant addiction treatment. A supervised detox program can help men and women who are stimulant-dependent obtain sobriety in a safe manner and lay the groundwork for strength in recovery.
What to Expect During Withdrawal From Stimulants
The negative physiological symptoms that take control when an individual suddenly ends his or her habitual stimulant abuse is known as withdrawal. Attempting to manage withdrawal without assistance or supervision can be very dangerous, and tends to lead individuals to return to stimulant use in an effort to control the pain of the experience. Repeating this process of failed withdrawal attempts can cause an individual to fall deeper into his or her stimulant abuse, making it more challenging to stop the addictive behaviors once and for all.
While everyone might experience withdrawal differently, there are common symptoms that can occur at this time, some of which include:
- Memory problems
- Impaired cognition
- Bodily aches and pains
- Increased appetite
For those who do not have personal experience with addiction, it can be hard to understand why an individual would be tempted to use his or her drug of choice at the time of withdrawal. However, the symptoms listed above can be excruciating to the point where an individual who truly wants to stop the cycle of addiction might not feel powerful enough to endure the symptoms. Thankfully, there is a better way. Help in the form of supervised detox allows individuals to rid their bodies of harmful substances in a supportive and secure environment.
Why Choose Keystone Treatment Center for Detox from Stimulants
A high-quality detox program is an ideal step in the recovery process for men and women who have been unable to end their stimulant abuse on their own. While under the care of program staff, patients will have access to a number of benefits and supports at our detox center, such as:
- No risk of relapse. Since detox occurs within a substance-free environment, the risk of relapse is essentially eliminated.
- Staff monitoring around-the-clock. Patients are monitored 24/7 by trained, understanding medical and mental health professionals who are experienced in the needs of those who are detoxing from substances.
- Medical interventions. When needed, some patients are provided medications to help decrease the negative withdrawal symptoms they might be suffering from. These medications are heavily supervised, and are only provided by certified medical professionals at our stimulant detox center.
Long-Term Benefits of Stimulant Detox at Our Treatment Center in North Dakota
Of course there are a number of immediate benefits to ridding one’s body and mind of stimulants. However, the long-term benefits of detox are what might be most beneficial in helping those to defeat their battle with stimulant addiction once and for all. Some of these long-term benefits can be found below:
- Prepare to succeed. By reducing the harmful substances in one’s system, he or she is then ready to enter into the next phase of his or her care plan. Without obtaining sobriety, individuals will be unable to fully benefit from other interventions provided to them.
- Continuity of care. By going through a supervised detox program at a treatment center, patients can transition into the next phase of treatment.
- Life-long recovery is a process that requires extreme fortitude. By obtaining sobriety in a supervised detox program, individuals can recover both their physical and mental strength, allowing them to defeat the challenges they will face in treatment and beyond.
The detox program at Keystone Treatment Center is just one component of our comprehensive treatment program for stimulant addiction. If you or someone you care for wants to learn more about the support we supply to help defeat chemical dependency, we hope that you will reach out to us at your earliest convenience.