Gambling disorder is a destructive and often misunderstood mental health condition that ruins lives and destroys families. For those who grapple with a gambling disorder, which is also known as gambling addiction, what may start out as making a bet here and there ultimately turns into going to great lengths and risking a great deal in order to experience the rush that comes from playing poker, blackjack, and the like. Additionally, this sort of issue is widely known to exist at the same time as addictions to drugs and/or alcohol, which can then make seeking treatment all the more necessary in order for a person to live a healthy and more productive life.
Located in South Dakota, Keystone Treatment Center is proud to be a nationally renowned leader in the effort to provide life-changing care to adult men and women, ages 18 and over, who are struggling with this insidious disease and co-occurring disorders. When a person chooses to heal at Keystone, his or her treatment experience begins with a comprehensive assessment by a Nationally Certified Gambling Counselor. The patient and his or her counselor will then work together to develop an individualized plan that will address the issues identified during the assessment. Depending upon each patient’s unique needs and specific goals, this treatment plan may incorporate a variety of therapies, including the following:
- Cognitive therapies are offered so that men and women can identify the problematic thought processes that they have and form new perspectives about gambling, addiction, and other such concerns.
- Individual therapy is incorporated into a person’s care as a means of offering a truly individualized experience that allows an individual to talk about personal matters with a trained therapist.
- Group therapy helps patients discuss important issues relevant to gambling addiction so that they can offer insight, support, and encouragement to and from one another in a safe setting that is supervised by a member of our staff.
- Educational programming assists men and women in understanding the complex nature of gambling addiction. This aspect of this treatment track provides pertinent information that those addicted to gambling may not have known before coming to Keystone.
Additionally, men and women benefit from receiving medical management services, spiritual therapy, and family therapy sessions that are all proven effective in helping our patients both reach and exceed their treatment goals.
Keystone Treatment Center’s program for gambling disorder is based on the principles of the 12-Step recovery model, with special attention paid to the budgeting and financial issues that have likely been impacted by the patient’s gambling problem. We believe that gambling disorder and related conditions are multidimensional problems with individual consequences. Therefore, in order to best prepare our patients to successfully pursue long-term recovery, we feature a full continuum of recovery services that are designed to identify and address all of the issues that may have contributed to, been impacted by, or occurred alongside the patients’ primary diagnosis.
All patients within our treatment programs work in active collaboration with talented and dedicated treatment professionals who have developed significant insights into the nature of gambling disorder and who are skilled at providing the dynamic personalized treatment that promotes long-term recovery. The members of our multidisciplinary treatment teams are committed to establishing and maintaining a nurturing treatment environment in which all patients are treated in an atmosphere of dignity, integrity, accountability, honesty, and trust.
With the recognition that the impact of gambling addiction is not limited to the afflicted individual, our staff includes a licensed family therapist who is available to conduct family therapy sessions on an as-needed basis. We also hold a weekly Family Program every Sunday, which includes one hour of psychoeducational programming for family members prior to patient visiting hours. Additionally, family members may have the opportunity to participate in day-long programming on Mondays and Tuesdays. By including those who are closest to our patients in the recovery process, we strive to help our patients and their loved ones do the following:
- Heal from the damage that has been caused by the individual’s gambling addiction.
- Learn how to support the individual in a manner that encourages long-lasting recovery.
- Come together as a united front against problematic gambling.
- Develop a greater understanding of one another so as to deepen the connection between the patient and his or her loved ones.
We also place great emphasis on developing effective discharge plans to ensure that patients have the support systems and services that will allow them to maintain and build upon the progress that they made during the residential phase of their recovery. Discharge planning, which may involve the patient, his or her individual counselor, a primary nurse, and a social worker, begins the day a patient enters our program and continues throughout his or her time in treatment.
At Keystone Treatment Center, we understand the many ways that gambling addiction can undermine a person’s efforts to live a productive and satisfying life. By offering a full continuum of highly customizable treatment services, we are uniquely prepared to provide patients and their families with the comprehensive care that they need to transform the devastation of gambling addiction into the promise of successful long-term recovery.
For more information on our gambling addiction treatment program or any other facet of care at Keystone Treatment Center, call us today. We welcome the opportunity to help you determine if Keystone is where you can begin the healed and recovered life you deserve.